RE: Guidelines or Standards

At 07:38 AM 12/12/2005 -0500, you wrote:

> > So I think we are in a situation where we must:
> > - focus on writing a good technical guideline standard (called a
> recommendation in W3C parlance).
> > - wording it in a form most appropriate to this task;
> > - but keeping in mind that others may be using it for guidance for
> regulatory activity and we don't want to write it in a way that makes it
> hard for them to do that well.
>
>Thinking about this some more, it seems to me that WCAG (1.0 and 2.0) are
>very different than the other W3C Technical Recommendations with which I
>am familiar.  For lack of better terminology, WCAG is along the lines of
>usage whereas HTML, XML, CSS, SVG, etc. are all very much detailed
>definitions.  This leads me to a few questions:
>
>(1) Does the W3C have guidance as to the format of TR, especially the
>"lowest level" parts (the success criteria in the case of WCAG 2.0)?

The QA Framework: Specification Guidelines [1] is a possible resource
pertinent as an answer to your Question #1.

>(2) Are there other W3C TR that are along the lines of useage in a fashion
>similar to WCAG?

The Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines [2] is another W3C
specification in development  that may be relevant as an answer to your
Question #2.

Thanks and best wishes
Tim Boland NIST

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/