    Da: "Gregg Vanderheiden"<gv@trace.wisc.edu>
    Inviato: 05/12/05 18.54.29
    A: "'Bailey, Bruce'"<Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov>
    Cc: "'Guide Lines list'"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: RE: From SUN

     Comments below marked  GV:

    Gregg

      _____

    From: Bailey, Bruce [mailto:Bruce.Bailey@ed.gov]
    Subject: RE: From SUN

    Imagine a Java applet with a fair sized text entry area or two.

    GV: yes that would be the way to look at this.

    My question is this:  Could a Java applet could ignore (probably not
    deliberately, but by accident of design) StickyKeys (or FilterKeys or
    SerialKeys or SoundSentry) within the domain of the Java applet?  Or is the
    VM wholly dependant on the OS to pass text?  Is a Java applet limited to
    "key up" event handlers, or can it watch for "key down" (and thus possibly
    prevent capitalization when StickyKeys is running on the OS)?

    GV: my understanding is that it is completely dependent on the  OS to pass
    text.  that is part of the 'security sandbox'.  StickyKeys etc are
    implemented very low so that all apps pick them up.  So unless the
    application was looking at timing of keyups and keydowns to specifically
    identify modifier keys that were consistently pressed a give amount of time
    before other keys and therefore must be done by machine or something -
    (which means the company is using heuristics specifically designed to bypass
    access features) I don't think it would be a problem.

    I wasn't thinking about Alt-Tab not working when I raised this question.  I
    am not worried so much about assistive technology being turned off.  I
    remain still a little anxious about the potential for accessibility features
    of the operating system to be ignored (which is what 1194.21(b) is about)
    within the virtual machine.  Your contact at Sun may have considered this
    aspect as well, but the answer you quote back doesn't address this concern.

[Messaggio troncato. Toccare Modifica->Segna per il download per recuperare la restante parte.]