Guidelines = Standards

It is confusing but the W3C Guidelines are standards.   Don't let the word
Guidelines confuse you.

(side note:  The ADA standards are also called guidelines;  the ADA
Accessibility Guidelines or ADAAG).

The WCAG success criteria are used to measure conformance with the standard
at 3 levels.

The Guidelines and success criteria are normative - that is - they are used
to determine conformance with WCAG 2.0.

The Guide Doc is an informative document that is separate from the
Guidelines.  It gives information on the intent of the guidelines as well as
listing what the working group considers to be sufficient techniques for
meeting the success criteria.

I don't know what you mean by a middle layer so I can't help you with that
one. .

Hope this helps

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.