R: NEW: Issue #1544

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] Per conto
di Luca Mascaro
Inviato: venerd́ 12 agosto 2005 7.27
A: 'Joe Clark'; 'WAI-GL'
Oggetto: RE: NEW: Issue #1544

In all of the last generation of graphical browser the major multimedia
format works also with object.

We must hold a compatibility with the old browser even if we invalidate the
code? Therefore we do not damage the futures browser?

Roberto Scano:
I Agree with you. Also in ATAG we have discussed this and the
world-biggest-embed-user-company reply this:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-au/2005JulSep/0042.html

"The decision to rely on the <embed> element is an old one. I could just
as easily turn this conversation around and decry the W3's decision to
declare the <embed> tag invalid with looking at its most common uses.
So, let's just stay constructive. "

So, all the problem is that W3C hasn't insert a proprietary tag inside HTML
DTD (sigh!).

And if we want back-compatibility for all, we need to remember that - for
eg. - we cannot guarantee accessibility for all (all=browser): for example,
Macromedia Flash (object/embed/whateveruwannarepresent...) is accessible
only in MS platforms, this also for objects (eg. ActiveX) developed
following the OS accessibility API). How can we define an accessible object,
when an object is rendered in different mode by different browser also in
the same OS?

Someone wanna use embed? Ok, use a custom DTD, but don't ask to develop a
W3C Rec. That ask to violate another W3C Rec. Only for business issues.