Re: XHTML 1.1 as text/html (was Re: Should validity be P1 or P2?)

On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 12:01:49AM +0100, Gez Lemon wrote:

> On 22/06/05, David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk> wrote:
> > What good reason is there for serving XHTML 1.1 as text/html? What
> > advantages does it give you over Appendix C conformant XHTML 1.0
> > served as text/html?
>
> There is only one reason to conform to Appendix C. Appendix C is
> informative - a work-around while browsers catch up. But one browser
> didn't catch up.

Internet Explorer
Lynx
Links
W3M
GoogleBot

Then we have Konqueror which seems to run documents served as
application/xhtml+xml through a tag soup slurper (I'd guess Safari
does the same), and Opera which is confident enough in its XML engine
that, I am told, it makes its requests with an accept header including
a lowerer quality value for XHTML.

Its going to be a long time before browsers really catchup.

However, that doesn't answer my question. Why XHTML 1.1 (as text/html)
and NOT 1.0 + Appendix C?