From: John M Slatin
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2005 2:06 pm
To: 'Ineke van der Maat'; w3-wai-lg@w3.org
Subject: RE: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of
resolutions from last 2 days)

Inneke points out an error I should have caught in the table example I
sent earlier today:

Did not you see  that the th-tag is not closed at all, so it can never
be
valid or well-formed? i copied the code to a page i am working on and
the
validator also told me that the </th>-tag is  omitted.

Besides; it misses a caption tag, headers attribute and
summary-attribute

You're right, I should have caught the error. Thanks for pointing it
out. I think it was caused by sloppy copy-and-paste.

I'm attaching an HTML file that closes the unclosed <th> element; the
element.  There is no headers attribute on the <th> element because it's
not required-- this is a simple table with just one level of headers.

I submitted this file to validator.w3.org, and the validator returned
the following message:

This Page Is Valid
HTML 4.01
Transitional!

Nevertheless, JAWS 6.10 still reports that  "There are no tables on this
page." It does this when I press the letter "t," which serves as a
hotkey to jump from table to table.

When I arrow down the page from the top, JAWS speaks the caption text.
It does not read the summary attribute (as it does for tables that it
recognizes). It reads the contents of the cells in the table. But when I
use the table-navigation keys (alt+ctrl+leftArrow or rightArrow) JAWS
says, "Not in a table."

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.