RE: Should validity be P1 or P2? (was RE: summary of resolutions from last 2 days)

So if screen readers don't respect code of 1998, we need to authorize violations? So for the same, if IE don't support application/xhtml+xml or if an AT don't support an element w  shouldn't use it? And what about device independence?  AT are UA and UA are output device...
If it's a Jaws bug, suggest to correct it instead of request rec. Violation.

----- Messaggio originale -----
    Da: "John M Slatin"<john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
    Inviato: 20/06/05 19.03.55
    A: "Joe Clark"<joeclark@joeclark.org>, "WAI-GL"<w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
    Oggetto: RE: Should validity be P1 or P2?  (was RE: summary of resolutions   from last 2 days)

    Joe Clark wrote:

    Nobody has provided even the standard three
    *real-world* examples that I repeatedly call for and never get.

    Here is a very small example in which valid code doesn't guarantee
    accessibility. The following table validates for HTML 4.01 transitional.
    JAWS 5.0 and 6.10 do not recognize it as a table. Home Page Reader 3.04
    handles it properly.

    This is clearly a user agent issue (JAWS should be able to recognize
    this table in its sleep). I mention it because tables have been
    identified as cases where valid code is essential.

    <code>
        <thead>
                <th colspan="4" scope="col">Building Accessible Web Sites
        </thead>
        <tbody>
        </tbody>
    </code>