HTML/XHTML, mime-types, Strict & Transitional [was Re: Semantics]

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 02:19:28PM +0200, Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG) wrote:

> This means that xhtml pages served as text/html for IE (and
> application/xhtml+xml for others),

I'd hope that nobody is actually doing that - there are plenty of user
agents other then IE which don't render application/xhtml+xml
documents.

> Also "HTML Techniques" need also to be HTML/XHTML (or "Markup
> Techniques"), due that inside there are also example of "correct
> use" of <applet> and <embed> elements?

I don't see why the use of <applet> and <embed> would require that
section to be renamed (although I agree that Markup Techniques is
better). Both elements exist just as much in XHTML 1.0 as XHTML 4.01
(i.e. <applet> is only in Transitional and <embed> doesn't appear at
all).

> And, also, there is suggested to use target attribute for open new
> windows instead of script: but "target" is not allowed in XHTML 1.0
> Strict (and also in HTML 4.01 Strict)...

Ditto, but there is also the "Never prompt a new window ever, let the
user decide when they want one" school of thought, for which there are
some good accessibility arguments:
http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html