Re: summary of resolutions from last 2 days

Joe Clark wrote:

> Had that group been a bit wiser, they could have put forth quite a
> palatable proposal, like the following:
>
> 1. Require structural, semantic markup (and knock off this nonsense
> that "semantic" isn't a word anybody understands or is already used by
> some remote tribe in Papua New Guinea, so we can't use it too)
>
> 2. Require the use of accessibility features if they exist (modulo
> deprecated cases like accesskey, which is easy to exclude in a
> techniques document)
>
> 3. Prefer structured formats over unstructured ones (modulo the fact
> that sometimes all you've got is unstructured data)
>
> 4. Produce valid code as often as humanly possible (which is quite
> humanly possible in a much larger range of cases than the blandishment
> "we can't force authors to mark up documents manually" would suggest)

If this is the proposal, I support it over what is there now (modulo
stuff in parenthesis). It just needs to be written in a way that's testable.

But I reject the idea that a binary assertion of validity has any
bearing on accessibility, just like I do with readability scales.
There's too much gray area there to be universally useful. All sins in
validation are not equal.

-