Re: summary of resolutions from last 2 days

Ineke van der Maat wrote:

> Hello Matt,
>
> You wrote:
>
>> In fact, even among the more enlightened developers, it's hard to
>> find one who hasn't had a client who made them do something that
>> broke HTML validity.
>

> In the html book (html bible)  I have, I can read about valid websites
> and also about accessibility. The designers you write about, have
> simply the wrong books or  had/have the wrong teacher.

I'm sorry for not being clearer. The people I'm talking about _are_ the
Web standards advocates. But they have a job to do, and it's an unfair
position to put them in to say that they can either try to make the
sites they design accessible, or have clients pay them. We can still get
them to convince clients of the benefits of accessibility (where it's
not already law or organizational policy), but we can't expect them to
force-feed validity as a part of the equation, as well.

To answer your rhetorical question:

 > Do you also tell your baker how to bake the bread?

No, but I also don't buy bread I don't like. And lots of people don't
buy wheat bread simply because their doctor tells them it's healthy.

If enlightened designers are forced to be valid, and as a result aren't
able to meet clients' requirements in ways that don't damage
accessibility, then the really dumb HTML designers have a market
advantage, because they don't care about accessibility or validity at
all. Do we want to make poor coders easier to hire?

-