From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Christophe Strobbe
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 4:49 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: GL 2.2: new benefit (low computer literacy)

Hi,

One of the resolutions of the 26 May 2005 telecon was to discuss the
following new benefit on the list:

<proposal>
People with low computer literacy, particularly the elderly, do not get
confused or are not led to think that they have made a mistake.
</proposal>

This proposal came out of issue 1432 ("unsolicited transitions confuse").
Some participants objected to the inclusion of this benefit because low
computer literacy is not a disability (e.g. taken to the extreme: some
people get confused when seated in front of a computer with a mouse because
they don't see the relation between the screen and the mouse, and it is not
the author's task to remedy this).
However, even though WCAG is about lowering barriers for people with
disabilities, there's nothing wrong with pointing out benefits for people
who don't consider themselves as disabled. Defining *benefits* is something
quite different than saying that there should be *success criteria* for
people with low computer literacy.

Regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Document Architectures Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 - 3001 Leuven-Heverlee -