RE: RE 3.1 proposal - first half

Hallo Ineke,

You wrote:

> Hoi Yvette,
>
> You asked:
> > Ineke, do you have a URL of your fantasy poems site? It might
> > make an interesting real-world example for some of the issues
> > we're dealing with.
>

> http://www.hoehnermusikfan.net/daten/feste/archiv/ lists them

Thanks for the quick reply. I do not see why this site couldn't meet the
success criterion proposed by John about requiring a definition for words
used in an unusual way. As far as I can tell from a quick look at these
poems, almost all of the words are perfectly understandable for someone who
knows German. To meet John's guideline, only the words that you use in a
different sense than normal would need a definition. Presumably that can be
done in markup so it wouldn't interfere with the way the poem is presented
to most users. It takes some extra effort but that's what can be expected
for a level 3...

It's always good to have actual examples to work with. It helps us to see
what would be required for the success criteria we create, and helps us
recognize the problems with it. Based on your reaction, I think we need to
clarify this success criterion for it to be useful for people who want to
meet level 3. I think the idea behind it is not as bad as you originally
thought and believe it would work for languages like Dutch :-) But it's
always good to remain alert about these cases because, as you pointed out,
the majority of the group has English as their native langauge so we have to
always make sure the things we think of work for other languages as well.

By the way: I'm impressed with your ability to write poems in a language
that I assume is not your native language!

Yvette Hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl
WWW: http://www.heritas.nl