RE: Proposal with updates from 26 May call

An exchange between Yvette and Ineke:

> If we do want a success criterion about spoken versions of text, I
> think
> we
> should include that it has to be the user's choice, i.e.: "The user
can
> select a spoken version of text content" or something similar.

I really think to skip the whole requirement is the best way. When users

want to listen to text, they only need to put on their screenreaders

I agree with Yvette. In proposing that a spoken version of the text be
provided, I always *assumed* (but did not specify) that it would be
available to users *in addition to* the text version, and that users
would be free to listen to it or not.

However, the proposal is not aimed at people who have screen readers
(after all, listening to the text would be the default for them).  The
proposal aims to help sighted users who have disabilities that limit
their ability to read text.

Specifically, there are certain disabilities such as dyslexia that
affect phonological processing-- an inability to convert written
characters to the proper auditory form.However, many people with
dyslexia are able to understand very complex materials when those
materials are read aloud.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C
1 University Station G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524
email jslatin@mail.utexas.edu
web http://www.utexas.edu/research/accessibility/

> If we do want a success criterion about spoken versions of text, I
> think
> we
> should include that it has to be the user's choice, i.e.: "The user
can
> select a spoken version of text content" or something similar.

I really think to skip the whole requirement is the best way. When users

want to listen to text, they only need to put on their screenreaders.
Also
for other platforms than windows screen readers are  developped the last

time.
Advantage also: users can always have the same settings they are used
to.

greetings
Ineke van der Maat