RE: Proposal for 1.3, "Ensure that information, functionality, and structure are separable from presentation"

Part of the exchange between Gregg and Joe:

Gregg wrote:
> [...]Is it structure we are trying to
> preserve or is it information we are trying to not lose?  That is the
> discussion point.

JOE:
It's a discussion point for people who don't accept that we're already
making Web *content* accessibility guidelines, admittedly, yes.

There are two different issues here, and  reminding us that we're
writing guidelines for accessible content doesn't make the points moot.

It seems to me we're trying to ensure that neither "information" nor
structure is "lost" through being inappropriately bound up in
presentation.  By "information" in this context I mean the message an
author wants to send to readers/users; the data, analysis, etc., etc.;
the knowledge s/he hopes to impart.  By "structure" I mean the way
"informaiton" is organized, as expressed in whatever code the author's
chosen technology requires. And let's add for the sake of argument that
"content" includes both information and structure in the senses cited
above.

As I said in an earlier post, the problem isn't that someone might be
silly enough to publish an empty document.  The problem is that someone
might publish content that some users would perceive while other users
would find the "same" content completely *imperceptible* solely by
reason of their disability.

I believe that the intent of GL 1.3 is to guard against that
possibility, and the success criteria should define what must be true of
content in order to accomplish the goal.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute