RE: [2.4] Summary of issues for guideline 2.4

Becky writes:
BJG:  Is  this example a bit too HTML specific?  Do all web technologies
include the concept of headers?
Good question, to which I don't know the answer. But I don't think the
success criterion would be invalidated just because some Web
technologies don't support the concept of a header-- that's just one
instance, not an entire class.

[...]
 Unless they are created using <Hx> tags, then assistive technologies
nor opera will find them as headers and this example is not valid.

This brings up
the issue of how to mark the structure programmatically.  I was recently
asked by a colleague about using CSS to style the "headers" in a
newsletter format
web site.  The headers were created using specifically styled divs -
they were not created using <Hx> tags.  When this content was tested
with a testing
tool, these visual headers failed because they were not created with
<Hx> tags.  But, it can be argued that they do meet the guideline of
structure being
programmatically determined as long as the "headers"  are all styled
with the same CSS class.
This means that the *style* can be detrmined programmatically, but I
don't see how it makes the *headers* programmatically determined. In
this instance, structure is completely bound up in presentation-- if the
presentation changesthe "headers" will be lost  (for example, through
lack of support for CSS or through substitution of a user style sheet).
People are smart enough to infer structure from visual presentation--
*if* they're experienced enough readers to do so (we're not born knowing
how to distinguish a header from body text<grin>).

So, is the author responsible if the assistive technologies
do not understand how to separate out different content type via CSS
styling?  I had a hard time arguing that the content failed to meet the
guidelines
since the headers could be programmatically determined </blockquote>
I don't see how this is making the headers programmatically determined.
What can be programmatically determined here is that some bits of text
are meant to look different than other bits of text.

[...]I think
we are saying that this is an acceptable way to format heading since the
last example suggests using aural stylesheet to specify different voices
for different
parts of the document.
Good catch. I will take an action item to rewrite the example (I think I
wrote the one that's there now, so it seems only fair...). In writing
this example I made an unspoken *assumption* that the aural styles were
attached to markup such as headers, etc.  I further assumed that the
aural styling was the auditory equivalent to the visual styling that is
so soften associated via CSS with header markup-- to use presentation as
a *signal* for structure, while the structure itself is encoded in other
ways.  Thus the same structural component (headers, radio buttons,
whatever) can be associated with multiple styles suited to different
modalities-- you can have visual *and* aural styles associated with the
same element.  But if you have no style at all (not even the default
style sheets Joe reminds us of), if you have <hx> tags then the
structure persists across different presentations-- and, to go back to
the particular point at issue in 2.4, it can then be used for navigation
as a styled <div> cannot.

At any rate, I'll take an action item to make those unspoken assumptions
explicit, to avoid this confusion.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director