Re: HTML Techniques16.1, 10.6 baseline Discussion

----- Original Message -----
From: "David MacDonald" <befree@magma.ca>
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 4:33 AM
Subject: HTML Techniques16.1, 10.6 baseline Discussion

Task:
Use noscript when using script.

For Baseline that requires text only (lynx) There needs to be a purely
text
alternative. (Not NoScript)

For a baseline that requires HTML, CSS (not JavaScript) there should a
noScript

For a Baseline that supports Javascript, There should still be redundant
links (for menus) and text alternatives.

Roberto:
I partially disagree with this solution.
We need to remember that we are defining accessibility for existing
specifications.

<cite
url="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/scripts.html#h-18.3.1">
The NOSCRIPT element allows authors to provide alternate content when a
script is not executed. The content of a NOSCRIPT element should only be
rendered by a script-aware user agent in the following cases:
  a.. The user agent is configured not to evaluate scripts.
  b.. The user agent doesn't support a scripting language invoked by a
SCRIPT element earlier in the document.
User agents that do not support client-side scripts must render this
element's contents.

In the following example, a user agent that executes the SCRIPT will
include some dynamically created data in the document. If the user agent
doesn't support scripts, the user may still retrieve the data through a
link.

<SCRIPT type="text/tcl">
 ...some Tcl script to insert data...
</SCRIPT>
<NOSCRIPT>
 <P>Access the <A href="http://someplace.com/data">data.</A>
</NOSCRIPT>
</cite>In the proposal you ask to a developer to use noscript + the same
contents of noscript visible in public content.<cite>
"For a Baseline that supports Javascript, There should still be
redundant
links (for menus) and text alternatives."
</cite>

I think that will cause the same "trap" of client side image maps. We
need to think that an user can configure an user agent for interact with
contents. In case of JS, we need to ask that, if JS is supported, JS
must be accessible.
For people that cannot access to js (disabled in user agent, not
supported, other, ...) should be present a <noscript> section that give
the possibility to the user to have the same interaction:
- if js refer to access to some menus, offer the access to them:

Eg:
<script type="text/javascript" src="choosesites.js"></script>
<noscript>
</noscript>

I can see the requirements as: you need to put all also visible, so why
use JS? This could be good, but this will force a wrong use of the
specifications and of the freedom of the user: an user, with its
browser, should access to a script and, if not able to access, should
disable scripting and access to <noscript> (btw, I think this is an
assistive technology "problem").

Hope this helps.

Roberto Scano (IWA/HWG)