Re: [Techs] CSS and invisible labels for forms

James Craig wrote:

> > 1: Hide the label with CSS using display: none
> > 2: Hide the label with CSS by moving it off the visual display
> > 3: Using a transparent single pixel image
> > 4: Using the title attribute on the form control
> >
> > As the techniques should promote best practice, I'm in favour of either
technique 1 or technique 2. Techniques 3 and 4 seem like hacks to me.

> I'd have to cast my vote for #2 because #1 is known to cause problems in
> some screen readers.

>From the research that Becky did on the differing techniques, display: none
doesn't seem to effect labels [1]. Bob Easton reported issues about using
display: none [2], where the content was ignored in linked style sheets by
some screen readers, but had better success with imported style sheets. It
would be interesting to know whether Becky used linked style sheets or
imported style sheets. For consistency, I would also vote for technique 2.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2004JulSep/att-0546/00-part
[2] http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=ScreenreaderVisibility

Best regards,