RE: First draft: proposal for guideline 4.2 level 1

Gregg Vanderheiden writes:
 > Actually all of the discussion hinges on the first question.
 >
 > If there are no user agents that meet then the rest of the analysis
 > collapses.

Not completely. In these circumstances there are various options (this
entire issue requires discussion with the user agent working group):

1. To specify conformance only to a subset of Level A of UAAG 1.0 as a
   minimum implementation requirement (I have explained earlier in
   this thread why this is problematic).

2. To specify that there need only be a set of user agents which
   together have features that amount to UAAG 1.0 conformance (see
   earlier discussion).

3. To take WCAG 2.0 to last call only when at least one user agent
   conforms to Level A of UAAG, thereby satisfying the dependency.

4. To have no success criteria at level 1 of guideline 4.2. This would
   mean that content developers could use whatever technologies they
   wished in conforming at level 1. I can hear the objections already!

5. To adopt some other minimum implementation and compatibility
   requirement - I think this would essentially be the same as
   choosing a subset of UAAG 1.0, however, and would have the same
   drawbacks.

What have I missed?