From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Fentress, Robert
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 8:23 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: RE: Issues with guideline 4.2

I very strongly disagree with the notion that these things must be free in
order to be deemed accessible.  I do not see how limiting the ability of the
producer to make a profit from his work will benefit the consumer.  In the
medium to long term, it will only result in less valuable products being
released.  The market is so competitive now that almost all web software is
free anyway and producers get their revenue by other means.  Still, there
may be instances where software is so costly to develop and so valuable to
the consumer that it will require a licensing fee to make it worthwhile for
the producer to develop the product.

Rob