Re: Table: Title in lieu of Caption

We currently have 3 techniques for describing the nature of data tables:

[1] summary (mandatory)
[2] caption (optional)
[3] title (optional)

As Sailesh mentions, you can use the title attribute if you want to add information beyond what's in the summary but don't want it to be visible like the caption.

I believe these techniques follow the HTML spec and provide enough flexibility to adequately describe the purpose of the table. They also seem to be reasonably supported by the current crop of user agents.

> Lets be very careful that we are not writing to the current

> batch of user agents (including AT).

Yes, good to keep in mind. We must avoid making techniques based upon "until user agents" and "because user agents".

Cheers,

Chris

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#datatables_summary
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-HTML-TECHS/#datatables_caption