Re: Example of multiple skip links

Jim Thatcher wrote:

>Joe Clark pointed out that http://mezzoblue.com/ has a small skip link list
>(a table of contents) at the top of the page:

>      * [4]Skip to Navigation
>      * [5]Skip to Style Switcher
>      * [6]Skip to Sidebar
>
>This example is very different from any I have seen - both in terms of the
>way he makes the links visible (especially in Mozilla) and in terms of the
>way he codes the in-page anchors.

Uhm... I've been using this method to skip to content in my site since
last october (not a list, but a single link to a DIV with ID).
Of course it's valid, but it has also a lot of limitation in backward
compatibility. A user mailed me that using a cell phone he wasn't able
to activate the link, that only works with a NAME in an A.
Old browser also aren't xhtml compatible so the link doesn't work.

After all, today I think that for backward compatibility and to improve
accessibility, we should use traditional linking method to <a
name="myname" id="myname"></a>. So I plan to change my site.

I've also had evidence that some blind user prefer the skipping link to
appear in page just after the <body> tag, and before the <h1>. They read
the page title to undestand where they are, so the skipping link is the
first thing they need. I don't know if this has already been discussed.

Maurizio Boscarol
http://www.usabile.it/