Re: [#831] Structural emphasis evident really a user agent issue?

At 10:21 PM +0200 6/21/04, Roberto Scano - IWA/HWG wrote:
>Agree... this is User Agent Issue.

Are stylesheets cited in LINKs in the HTML and served from the server
'content'? Are they within the domain of the WCAG?

WHILE the WCAG is in deep trouble trying to create a normative, testable,
Recommendation for Universal Content at the user-experience level (independent
of the formats used), the criterion set out is, at the user-experience level,
valid.

As the horizion in view in the viewport shrinks, the presentation of structural
signs should adapt.

Both the User Agent and the stylesheet writer have, in the current state
of practice on the Web, an opportunity to do something about this.  Also
the adaptation server in a "Device Independence" setup.

Those with a need for strenuous accomodation will usually want to ignore the
presentation hints from the server.  But the crossover point is not clear
at this time.  I would suggest it is premature to rule the stylesheet and the
server-side content adaptor out of this game.

Media queries in CSS3 are specifically targeted at providing this sort of
adaptation for commercial reasons.  It would be odd if we did not work with
CSS to come up with techniques that show how this dollar-demanded capability
can be turned to the benefit of people with disabilities accessing the Web.

Al