RE: [TECH] use cases diagrammed

Hi Gregg

>> "If we use the 'traffic cop/locator' as the link from guidelines to
techniques.  what is the purpose of the  techniques gateway ?

-------------------------

Wendy has been working with Shawn from the Authoring Tools Working Group.
Shawn is in charge of the WAI web site revision. She has extensive
experience in usability and she conducted usability studies of WAI
documents. Several of Shawn's key findings include the following:

1)       People become disoriented when they are thrust into the middle of a
separate document. (i.e., bouncing from a guideline in the Guidelines
document to the middle of a long techniques or techniques gateway document)

2)       Users want a quick effective way to find technology specific
techniques that apply to guidelines (without being thrust into the middle of
those techniques documents)

In preparing for our work, I interviewed 25 Government webmasters who depend
on WCAG. I also interviewed Frances Grenier of the Kansas State University
Accessibility Centre. She is on the State wide accessibility committee for
the Kansas State Government & University web sites. Frances has heard dozens
of comments from web masters who depend upon WCAG. The primary complaint
that Shawn, Frances and myself have found is that it is difficult for users
to find their way through all the WCAG documents. They don't want to be
linked to the middle of a big long technical document. They want to quickly
chose from all of the technology specific methods available to meet a
guideline and see what they have chosen.

The Locator/Cop is an attempt to meet the needs of our users who are out
there working with these documents every day and also to meet the needs of
users who do not have an intimate knowledge of the documents and their
interrelationships such as us on the committee.

Before the locator/cop, the "Techniques Gateway" was slated to take on 2
different functions:

1)       to provide technology independent techniques (such as "how to write
a good caption")

2)       to direct the user to technology dependant documents to meet
guidelines

It has become apparent to some people on the Techniques committee that these
two functions work against each other. If we are to provide quick, simple
access to technology specific techniques then we need to provide a simple
menu where users can choose the technology they want to fulfill a guideline
rather than sending them to the middle of a long Technology Independent
document and then force them to fish around for links to technology
dependant documents.

Before the cop, in order to go from a guideline to a technique the user
would have to link to the middle of the Techniques Gateway document,
violating Shawn's usability findings. We would be forcing the user to wade
through technology independent techniques to find a HTML or CSS technique to
fulfill a guideline.  Once they did find a link to the technology specific
technique in the Techniques Gateway document they would be sent into the
middle of a 3rd or 4th document (technical documents) disorienting them
further. Users have told us this is confusing.

In order to overcome these issues, the technical committee has been
discussing separating the two functions of the Techniques Gateway.

1)       The locator/cop is the Navigation part of the Techniques Gateway.

2)       The Technology Independent Techniques document would contain the
technology independent principles such as "how to write a good caption".

Wendy has informed us that it would be easy to generate a page via XSLT that
would present

(1) the guideline,

(2) the success criteria

(3) the technology specific technique

(4) technology independent techniques (from the techniques gateway document)
could also be included on this page.

This way the user would have everything they want for a particular guideline
on one page. This page would also contain a link so that the user can enter
the Technique Specific Guidelines document if they choose.

In the guidelines document after each success criteria there would be 2
links:

[Checklists]   [Techniques]

If the user selected the [Techniques] link, they could be brought to a page
such as this:

http://www.eramp.com/david/traffic_cop_from_guidelines_techniques_menu.htm

Another option is here:

http://www.eramp.com/david/traffic_cop_from_guidelines_checkbox.htm

I hope I have explained this well. Any other committee members are welcome
to add their comments.

A mock up and further discussion is here: www.eramp.com/david
<http://www.eramp.com/david>

Regards

David MacDonald

.Access empowers people.
            .barriers disable them.
 <http://www.eramp.com/> www.eramp.com

  _____

  I we use your 'traffic cop/locator' as the link from  guidelines to
techniques.  what is the purpose of the  techniques gateway ?

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center