From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Kynn Bartlett
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2004 12:51 PM
To: Avi Arditti
Cc: WAI-GL
Subject: Re: Disambiguation Re: Verified issues - week of 26 April

On May 3, 2004, at 9:37 AM, Avi Arditti wrote:
> Not all Web authors -- or lawyers or scientists or so on -- are
> writers,
> and not all writers are good communicators. Thus, when told "write
> clearly," chances are they do not know how, and so interpret that
> defensively as censorship.

I think we just have to tell people "write well" and give references
to what we mean by that, and don't say "write clearly."  There are types
of writing for which you do NOT want to "write clearly."

Heck, there are types of writing for which you don't actually want to
"write well."  This type of rule presented as a rule causes more
damage than it's worth.

--Kynn

> --
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>                     http://kynn.com
Chief Technologist, Idyll Mountain                http://idyllmtn.com
Author, CSS in 24 Hours                       http://cssin24hours.com
Online Campaign Manager                   http://ByronForCongress.org
Inland Anti-Empire Web Log                http://inlandantiempire.org
AIM:  NextOfKynn  |  Cell:  (909) 202-9872  |  Office: (714) 526-5656