RE: Suggestion for this Editorial Note

Joe Clark wrote in response to my suggestion:

> This one's going to spiral out of control if you're not
> careful. It already carries a strong whiff of anti-design ideology.
> "Resource" is surely better than page, though.
>
> > The old phrasing only talked about consistent behavior
> between pages,
> > but why narrow it to that? Within a page, you do not want the same
> > interactive element associatiated with different
> functionality either.
>
> You could have two or three links to a homepage using
> different forms.
> Besides, we often talk about alternatives in accessibility.

Two or three different types of links to a homepage wouldn't violate that
rule because they are different interactive elements associated with the
same functionality. That's exactly the reverse case of the criterion I'm
describing: the _same_ element associated with _different_ functionality.

An (extreme) example of a violation of this criterion would be two links
called "Home", one going to the homepage of the current subsection of the
website and one going to the homepage of the overall website. This would be
hard to understand for most people, let alone people with a learning
disability.

Yvette hoitink
Heritas, Enschede, the Netherlands
E-mail: y.p.hoitink@heritas.nl