Re: 2 or 3 Levels

On Apr 14, 2004, at 7:47 PM, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Actually the results from the working group meeting where we discussed
> this
> were
>
> For two levels (with third level dropped)
>   7  - Prefer    7  - Ok,can live with     6     - Cannot live with
> 0 -
> Don't know
>
> For two levels  (with three levels collapsed to 2)
>   0  - Prefer    14  - Ok,can live with     6    - Cannot live with
> 0 -
> Don't know
>
> For Three levels.
>  13   - Prefer   4  - Ok,can live with      0    - Cannot live with
> 3  -
> Not sure
>
> Since consensus is defined as "I prefer this or at least can live with
> it"
> we take consensus votes in that fashion
>
> So we are continuing with 3 levels for now.

I said I withheld my opinion on three levels. In retrospect, I'm not
even sure most of the participants on the call you reference were in
agreement regarding the scope of the question (i.e., whether this was
three levels in the document, or three levels of conformance).

The DRC report, which cites that zero of the thousand homepages it
tested conformed to AAA, gives me evidence to back up my belief that a
AAA level of conformance is not readily achievable, and as such, is not
a desirable target. I would still rather have two levels we can hold up
as viable alternatives than have a third that will only be claimed by
users who are ignorant of accessibility, or liars.

In short, no, there is not consensus in the vote that was taken. If a
formal objection[1] is necessary, I will write one.

-
[1]
http://www.w3.org/2004/02/Process-20040205/
policies.html#WGArchiveMinorityViews