Re: Abbreviations and Acronyms: [techs] Latest HTML Techniques Draft

Il giorno 10/dic/03, alle 22:27, John M Slatin ha scritto:

> abbr title="By the way">BTW</abbr>, I wonder how the linguists feel
> about making acronym and abbreviation synonymous?
>
> John

Not very well in fact... as a Linguist, i don't agree in this
assimilation. one thing is an acronym, an other thing is an
abbreviation.
one way to joint these two element would to find out a new way to
express them like an element like <expand text>, in these case, if we
talk about expanding and / or explain an abbreviation and acronym i
think it could be ok, but we can't call an acronym as an abbreviation.
an LTD.  is not like an Inc. for instance and the meaning that these
two words express are pretty different.

is formally wrong to use only the abbr elemt, better to find out a
third way IMVHO.

M2p -- pat