RE: numbering proposal

Hi Joe,

I wasn't referring to any bugs in screen readers.   Not sure what gave that
impression.

I just meant the time it took to read different numbering approaches.

To see what I meant - just read the following aloud.

N3M2
becomes
"N"  "3"  "M"  "2"
which is quite fast and informative. I can tell this is the 3rd Checkpoint
under Navigation - 2nd success criteria under minimum.

3.3.1.2  becomes
"3"  "dot"  "3"  "dot"  "1"  "dot"  "2"
which is longer, repetitive and harder to remember and interpret.
("dot" may be "point" on some screen readers but result is same.)

You can read the other proposals aloud too and see what they sound like, and
how long they are.
Remember that these numbers are read before each item in a list and break up
ones ability to view the items as groups.

Some ideas we have seen are

- be sure each item has full and unique number or label
- make sure that the numbers are informative
- just put the lowest level numbering and use the titles above for context
- have full numbers but have a script that will shorten the numbering for
screen reader users
- use numbering that allows you to quickly place the success criteria even
when out of context
- make numbering easy and quick (short) to say for screen reader users who
must listen to it before each item.

In the grand scheme of things, the content is much more important than the
numbering - though someday we will need to pick a scheme - and there is some
advantage to doing it earlier for consistency.

So if people have ideas - post em.  But we will just pick a scheme pretty
soon that works well for all users (the goal of our guidelines) and get on
with the content part.

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.