RE: Avoid deprecated features query

I have always interpreted 11.2 as a requirement not to use deprecated
features in any form.  Any such use would cause the page to become
invalid.  Although, some argue on this matter and state that they need
the use of <font> tags to format their text.  Personally, I think that
is simply because they don't understand that <font> tags are extremely
hazardous to people with low vision.

Therefore, I typically instruct state employees to learn CSS and avoid
the use of all deprecated tags.  Most notably - avoid visual editors
that wish to have total control of the format of the page.

Since the question really boils down to the meaning of avoid, let's look
at some examples.

Avoid the hot iron.  Should we touch the hot iron?  Well, I wouldn't
touch the hot iron because I know I would be burned.  However, a less
than knowledgeable person may touch the hot iron not realizing they
would be burned.

Avoid the ditch while driving.  Certainly, I don't want to drive into a
ditch, but if I absolutely had to, I would carefully consider the best
way to do without damaging my vehicle or worse killing myself.

So, does avoid mean to "do not use"?  In either case, we find it better
for all involved to "do not use" deprecated tags.  In the case of the
developer - there is a better way.  In the case of the visitor - it is
expected that they will be able to use the web site if it is reportedly
accessible.

Agreed, we should take out the word "avoid" and replace it with "do not
use".  However, we could convey the issue that it is more desirable to
"do not use" rather than say "it's okay, if ...".  Developers typically
don't understand the negative issues poor coding promotes.  Experienced
developers understand the issues and will work correctly to "not use"
codes that could cause problems.

Lee