RE: [#259] Proposal: remove default form text requirements

In the 29 May 2003 teleconference participants on the call agreed to the
following resolutions regarding placeholder text for form controls:

1. It is no longer necessary to provide default text for form controls,
since user agents now support form controls regardless of their placeholder
text. WCAG 2.0 will not have a requirement for this.
2. Since this guideline is no longer relevant and fulfilling it is sometimes
problematic for Web pages that otherwise conform to WCAG 1.0, it is
desirable to remove it from WCAG 1.0. We will therefore issue an erratum to
WCAG 1.0.

I will provide proposed text for the erratum in a separate message so we can
argue about that without confusing that discussion with ratification of the
principle reflected in these decisions. If you object to this resolution,
please indicate the objection on the list before Wednesday, 4 June 2003. If
no objections are raised we will consider this accepted by the list and
close the issue (pending acceptance of the erratum text).

Michael