Re: static links for current news items?

Hi,

I think this is way outside the scope of accessibility - it is a basic design
issue for the Web. And has been discussed as such. You could try looking at
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues (where you might find some accessibility
issues arise - I haven't looked at that stuff for a while)

But basically yes, it makes sense to have a URI which is "the latest news"
and which points to things that change. But those things should also have a
URI that points to that article, and keeps pointing to it (although in some
cases you may well be asked to pay for the right to use that URI - producing
content doesn't necessarily happen for free, and copyright law is designed to
recognise that and allow people to get paid for their work if they so
choose).

Cheers

Chaals

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, jonathan chetwynd wrote:

>Is there a guideline regarding whether providers of 'current news items' should provide a static link? and then archive with a more permanent link?
>
>Please could anyone comment, is this a sensible idea?
>
>We are currently trying to link to a number of websites that provide current news.
>Some (eg BBC) provide a single URI, and the content changes regularly.
>
>others (eg Channel4) change the URI regularly, say for instance daily.
>This makes it difficult to link, save in favourites etc
>
>Both are linked from
>http://www.peepo.com/alfy/news.html
>
>I've hacked some fairly awful javascript which is intended to update the channel4 link, but what a hassle, at least their URI was 'readable'.
>
>thanks
>
>jonathan

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22