Re: zoom tool-tips

At 09:00 AM 2002-03-31 , jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>I've been asked to provide extra large tooltips for instance for some
>users, or possibly large font text of the same.

Charles,

We need your sketch of how to do a tooltip in SVG+CSS.  And we need an environment that implements this for Jonathan to make his sandbox.

Jonathan:

Some users need the tooltip in large type.  I'm assuming these users need all text in large type, or at least have a consistent pattern of needing text larger that most of us.  In the family of W3C specifications this can be addressed using a user stylesheet to make the text large and SVG animation to make the appearance of the text relate correctly to interaction events.

I don't yet understand what you mean "or in large text" that is not visually presented as an annotation, i.e. in a tooltip.  Do you mean in a statically-positioned caption-workalike window?  The queuing of text fragments onto a to-be-displayed text stream is something that you can probably do interactively in scripting, but not in a declarative way with the present tools of SVG animation.

>Is it possible to chage the size of tooltips?
>in my experience neither mozilla nor ie do this yet there must be a very
>large part of the population that cannot read tooltip at the standard size.
>certainly changing the zoom-text does not effect tooltips, which it
>clearly should.
>
>Is this in the guidelines?
>
>I feel I've mentioned this before apologies if so,
>judy  tells me I can be very repetitive.

This is very germane to the development of multimedia techniques, which is IMHO in scope for WCAG WG.  Whether this level of discussion should be via the list or offline among a task team drafting multimedia techniques for consideration by the group is subject to guidance from the chairs of this group (not me).

See the technology proposals under the acronym SALT for further convincing evidence of industry interest in this class of multimedia interaction.  So we should be ready with working models of how the media as canned or served by the content sourcing activity should be cross-disability accessible, including demonstrating the interaction mode of how it should work for Jonathan's clients.

Al