Re: comments 1, 3 and 6

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Neff" <robert.neff@uaccessit.com>

> Comment 1.  Under forms, rules, the document states the "graphical form
> submit button created with INPUT, type="image" creates a type of
> server-side image map."  However, in the "Technique for specific
> controls", it states to us the "alt" tag.  This was a big issue on a
> design project a couple of years back. Suggest we reword any possible
> ambiguity or interpretation.

MM
If HTML 4.01 is the baseline for this document, I think the solution should
be to use the "button" element, which would allow authors to add HTML
including images to button faces, rather than using "input type=image". I'm
not sure how all user agents support button, however. (There is a section in
the techniques XML to add implementation details from one UA to another,
though.)

Alternately, I think we should require that the site be usable when "input
type=image" is sent with x and y coordinates of 0, which is what IE and
Netscape send when an image input is activated by keyboard. Since almost all
instances of image inputs that I've ever seen ignore the coordinates, this
would be a minor concession to be made only by those who are using the x and
y values.

RN
> Comment 3.  Timeout as it applies to session or state management.  This
> would apply to log on, forms to collect or submit data, for example
> contribution or purchase, and moving back and forth between a site.
>
> Issue: Are we going to mention this here?  I think we should.

MM
I think where this goes, in HTML or server-side techniques, is a gray area.
My vote would be in server-side techniques, since HTML itself has no sense
of state, as it's all provided by HTTP or server magic.

RN
> Comment 6.  Code used an example does not provide a visual cognitive
> stimuli for some people nor does it help the person just beginning to
> develop web pages, regardless of their level of exerptise
>
> Issue: The document needs to be more user friendly.
>
> Solution:  When an example is provided in HTML, also show what it looks
> like on the same page or provide a link to another document.

MM
This is already part of the plan. The code will be transformed into HTML
where applicable (no point doing it for the "title" element, for example),
and the XML document also provides for screen shots of how the document
appears in various browsers, and hopefully sound files of output from screen
readers and the like.

-