RE: Checkpoint 4.4 Review

My perspective on all of this has been that the content and
functionality of the site must remain in a baseline browser- HTML only.
No images, no CSS, no plugins, no PDFs, no java, no Flash.

Regardless of how 'widely available' these addins are there will always
be some people not using them (except maybe in 20 years time when ALL
browsers come packaged with Adobe Acrobat and have been for the previous
five years).

People who are blind cannot see images
People who use screen-readers often cannot navigate a flash screen
People without Acrobat cannot read PDFs (I do not believe the PDF
converter is of sufficient capability to render a document readable)
People without Word cannot read doc files
People using Lynx cannot use java
People with vision impairments do not use CSS

The people we aim to serve have trouble with all these addins. We can't
assume anything is available to them.

But I do believe we need to close the issue on baseline capabilities.
And whatever conclusion we come to as a group needs to be very clearly
stated in the guidelines. My feeling is baseline is pure HTML.

Gian