CSS and downlevel browsers was Re: text as images...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Roberts" <leeroberts@roserockdesign.com>
> Gian, is absolutely correct.  People are basically afraid of change.  They
> tend to stick to what works for them.  If it isn't broke don't fix it.

The problem here is that it _is_ broke, with respect to the web standards
that need to be ignored or misused in order to support many older browsers'
idiosyncrasies.

We've strayed a bit from the original discussion of CSS versus bitmapped
text, but it appears to me that we've moved from a question of whether
ignoring CSS in favor of bitmaps is worthy of double A or triple A
compliance to whether downlevel browsers should be a priority in the
guidelines.

Techniques already exist in the HTML techs document to show how to make CSS
degrade gracefully in non-CSS browsers. If Netscape 2 is determined by a
designer as a target browser, and he or she can make a site that complies
with WCAG, that's fine with me. At the same time, I don't think visual
fidelity in older browsers (in this case, using images of text to stylize)
is an acceptable excuse for avoiding CSS while claiming greater compliance.

-