RE: text as images...

Hi,

I believe when we are talking about people with disabilities we really
need to consider lack of finances and resources as just as important as
lack of 'abilities'. A disability unfortunately comes bundled with
discrimination, and this isn't just a case of people staring in the
street, but also work discrimination, loan discrimination, rental
discrimination, etc etc. all that lead to financial discrimination.

One of my main clients is the Victorian Department of Human Services
Disability Services Division. When I recently upgraded their site to AAA
status (and I don't expect email responses telling me it's not
accessible because it hasn't been uploaded yet), one of the MAIN
requests was that the site was Netscape 2.0 compliant. No that is not a
typo. I am talking Netscape 2.0. I was still at Uni when Netscape 2.0
came out!

So why? Why does it matter that the site is compliant with Netscape 2.0?
Because people, especially people with disabilities who have
difficulties with things we take for granted, do not change things they
are comfortable with. If they know how to use a browser, they are not
going to upgrade. Especially if they are still on a 486 with Windows
3.11.

I believe this is inherently an accessibility issue, because, like it or
not, the people that we aim to serve with the WCAG do not just have to
deal with their physical disability, but also the discrimination that
often comes hand in hand.

So, in essence, if I had to choose between Netscape and CSS (and I do on
a daily basis when recommending designs to clients) I will always choose
Netscape, because although IE may have attempted to take over the
market, they haven't completely, and until that day comes (let's hope
that the American justice system can at least waylay them) I believe
Netscape is of more importance to my audience than CSS for navigation
and layout.

Gian