Re: [CSS-TECHS] numbers instead of names?

Hi Wendy, Jo and others

The statement does not appear to be true.

Section 4.3 of the CSS3 working draft of 5 March 2001
includes the X11 color keywords. [1]

My understanding is that Opera supports the W3C
standards.  Therefore, at this time, Opera only
understands the 16 names colours referenced in HTML4.
This is supported by an undated note by Sue Sims on
the CSS Pointers Group site. [2]

According to a post by John Russell (3 Dec 2000)
"Amaya renders some but not all of these 140 colors."
[3]  I don't know if this has been changed in the last
year.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-css3-color-20010305#x11-color
[2]	http://css.nu/pointers/stickynote.html
[3]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya-dev/2000Dec/0001.html

Jonathan

 --- Jo Miller <jo@bendingline.com> wrote:
> Hi Wendy,
>
> I cannot verify the statement, though I suspect it
> is true, with
> qualifications.

 --- Previously, Wendy Chisholm had written:

> >HTML Source lists 140 names
>
>http://www.htmlsource.f2s.com/stylesheets/namedcolours.html
> >
> ><quote>
> >These are in the stylesheet section because older
> browsers will not
> >recognise the words, they require the code. Any
> browser that can do
> >stylesheets can do these colours, so it's safe to
> use them if you're
> >using a style.
> ></quote>
> >
> >Can anyone verify that this statement is true?

=====
Jonathan O'Donnell
mailto:jonathan.odonnell@ngv.vic.gov.au
http://purl.nla.gov.au/net/jod