From: Charles McCathieNevile [mailto:charles@w3.org]
Sent: Sunday, June 23, 2002 11:41 AM
To: jonathan chetwynd
Cc: Lisa Seeman; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: accessible forms

Hmmm. If you mean there is no standard accesskey for doing a particular
thing
you are right.

If you consider the list of things people need accesskeys for this isn't
very
surprising. After 10 years browsers don't have a standard way to move down
one page. And editors don't have a standard way to save a document after 30
years.

Some people will want a user agent that applies a given access key in a
given
way - this is possible (for example Internet Explorer applies the key alt-f
to the file menu, and ignores whatever the page author thought it might be
helpful for). If we had xlinks with meaningful role attributes, or to a
large
extent even if people used rel attributes on HTML links, this would be a lot
easier.

But it will never be standardised across browsers I don't think - there are
too many people who have got used to their favourite and will want to make
sure anything they use does their favourite key mappings. There is one
screen
reader for Windows (I forget which) that provides the ability to use
differnt
key mappings as a sales feature, and a lot of the software I use does too.

Cheers

Charles