If we say some sites cannot conform.

I need clarification

Are you saying that we would create guidelines that would preclude
museums and libraries from conforming at any level?

If so then we run the risk of having people walk away from them and make
their own.

I don't think that we should create guidelines that are not achievable
by basically everyone -- or these guidelines will not take precedence.
Others will need to be written for general applicability and we will
have fragmentation.

This is not an easy topic, but we need to address it carefully.

Gregg

------------------------------------
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Ind Engr - Biomed - Trace,  Univ of Wis
gv@trace.wisc.edu

Behalf
> Of Lee Roberts
> Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 11:59 AM
> To: john_slatin; 'jonathan chetwynd'
> Cc: Web Content Guidelines
> Subject: RE: 4.1 and satire
>

> I don't think that it would be able to conform.  However, the artistic
value
> would still be relevant.  I don't think it is our goal to say that
poetry or
> satire is an area that should or could conform, but we should not say
that
> it would be unacceptable to have it on a web site.  People do a lot of
> studying on the subject of irony and satire while in school and
possibly for
> self-edification (although not my personal interests - if it's not
> science-fiction forget it).
>
> John's question holds a valid point and we should address it.  Should
there
> be a note that the particular page is not accessible due to the nature
of
> the message?  We could carry John's question to things more relevant
to our
> times.  The Onion provides satire all the time, would their site be
> accessible or not?  I was certainly lost when they came out with the
piece
> on Dell closing - was it closing or not?
>
> Modern Political Satirists certainly spoof on the antics of today's
> politicians and politics.  Would their pages, articles, or even sites
be
> inaccessible with our standards?
>
> Lee Roberts

High
> Modernists in English and American poetry is a good example (T.S.
Eliot, for