From: Al Gilman [mailto:asgilman@iamdigex.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 10:14 AM
To: Sean B. Palmer; lisa Seeman; William Loughborough
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: controlled use of language

At 12:01 PM 2002-05-16, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
 >[Snipping WAI PF since, IMO, language is neither a protocol nor a
format
 >:-)]

What we are talking about is the _protocol_ which governs the coupled
use of controlled and uncontrolled vocabularies.  And multiple
definitions of vocabularies with different control protocols.  Some are
controlled through consensus, publication and registration [Dublin
Core], some through feedback methods, responding to demographics of
vocabulary control in populations at cognitive risk [CD word lists].
The controlled vocabularies are an extreme form of "lowest level
language" in the sense in which TimBL uses that notion.  Hence a form of
format.  Ergo: it's all about protocols and formats.

Al

Pinpoint example:

I tried to find a basis for "spellcheck your content" in WCAG 2.0.

The "check you work" guideline only talks about orthodox use of markup,
not of text.  Wrong.  There are unmarked encodings in the text that need
to be valid, too.  See the "use real words in standard spellings" thread
dealing with SGRS [search on "orthographic" in www-voice list].  This
has to be in our graph of clauses, too.

And this is a technique which follows from all of "use clear and and
simple expression," "compatibility with AT" and "use technology with
hygiene."  Multiple heredity -- you can't file it safely under either.

Al

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---