Re: Structure of deliverables: are we too PC for our own good?

Thank you for summarizing your understanding of the issues.  There is at least
one issue I feel that I don't find here, so let me float it and see what
people
think.

It is interesting that all the issues you list deal with what comes after part
(a).

Part (a) is summarized as

>(a). Guidelines/checkpoints/success criteria, as published in the
>principal guidelines document. These are formulated in
>"technology-neutral", yet precise terms.

The idea that technology neutral terms are used here could be an issue.

At least, it contributes to making two things difficult.

It makes it difficult for the content development community to apply what is
said, and it makes it difficult to make precise statements.  The second
difficulty reaches P2 criticality at least in the area of ameliorating
barriers
affecting cognitive impairments.  More generally, it increases the cost of
producing work product.  The first difficulty reduces the effectiveness of
this
piece of the work product.  Cap it all by dubbing this part "the _principal_
document" and you start having a task description that is daunting enough to
engender a significant level of worker frustration.  And we may have been
observing some worker frustration.  Is the frustration built into the actual
objective, or is it an artifact introduced by our work rules?

I want to offer a little more discussion of why a "principal document" that
declines to name names in terms of technology [and, in fact, in terms of
disability] may not be the most effective strategy for this group.

Our objective is to propose a win-win deal to the content development
community.

A win for people with disabilities, because content produced pursuant to the
deal offered will work for them.  A win for content producers for two
reasons.
For one thing, they have readily followed objective techniques to follow, and
don't have to learn arcana about lots of different disability groups.  For
another thing, there is the "canary in the mineshaft," or "curbcut" effect.
Fixing things that are failure modes for people with disabilities does have
collateral usability benefits in the wider community.

Here I want to appeal to William Ury's teaching about how to discover, frame,
and sell a win-win deal in the course of a negotiation.  [Book: Getting Past
No]  What I want to focus on is the 'discovery phase' leading to
'stipulations'
in the language of judicial adversary processes in the U.S.  What this boils
down to is that one tries to maximize through mutual discovery a body of
assertions that both or all sides will accept or stipulate as agreed
a_priori.
These things we don't have to argue about or for.  To get things
stipulated, it
really helps to be able to frame them as matters of fact.  If we can qualify
some statement in others' eyes as a matter of objective fact, that will appeal
to many people as cause to stipulate and not argue about those points.
This is
a long winded way to say, what we can convince ourselves are statements of
objective fact, and can state in a way that appeals to others as observations
of objective fact, are easy to get accepted.  Whatever we can cover that
way we
should, before we go after the more debatable points requiring judgement calls
or an appeal to abstract moral principles.  It could be that this is the best
way to characterize what we offer the web development community: that we have
collected and connected the relevant facts.  We have done their research for
them, and they can make informed decisions now because we eliminated the
research step.  All they have to do is skim the research report we produce and
formulate their plans in the light of what they learned.

Now, as a matter of judgement, it seems to me that it is extremely
difficult to
frame credible statements of objective fact in this area without naming names
as to both disability and technology.  Explanations of the interaction of
specific disabilities with specific technology usage are easy to state in a
way
that is easy to accept as fact.  Try to purge the statements of any trace of
specific disabilities or technology and one is left uttering "psychobabble."

Our major mission is to come up with a consolidated recommendation that has
broad and non-discriminatory benefit for all manner of people with
disabilities, and proposes strategies that work around conflicts between the
interests of different groups.  On the other hand, if we insist in our working
medium on euphemizing what we have to say by failing to name specific
disabilities and technologies, we may just have shot ourselves in the foot.

If our primary means of selling our recommendations is by appealing to their
basis in fact, and the facts are not recognizable as facts without naming
[disability and technology] names, then trying to frame precise statements of
the threshold of acceptable usage in disability- and technology-blind language
may not be in the cards.

Perhaps the primary things that users of our work product need to be able to
[on user election, that is to say on a 'pull' protocol basis...] get from it
are:

- for a given work task that they are assigned, to ascertain what advice of
ours pertains.

- for a given piece of advice of ours; if they wish, to review the reasoning
behind it.  This may mean some of each of the following:

+ traceability to a failure mode, if violating the advice leads to failure for
some condition
+ traceability to an optimization, if following the advice makes significant
contributions to usability and effectiveness across some range of conditions
+ comparison of the impacts on differently-affected groups, where we had to
engage in trades and balances reasoning to come up with a recommendation.

The units of advice may be technology-specific or technology-abstracted or
both, but including the technology-specific statement [or applicability, in an
index] of units of advice in the main body of work, the nominal scope of our
principal work product, will definitely help with the "find applicable advice"
step.

The backups at the ends of the "traceability" links are probably best
stated in
language which is specific as to disability condition and only as abstract
with
regard to technology as is clear.

The principal quality factor for our output could possibly be the ease with
which our readers move between the advice and rationale levels of exposition,
so that we get a user-directed depth of browse as they move through this
material.

By putting a major document and work division between the consolidated,
disability-and-technology-spanning advice and the
disabilty-and-technology-specific facts, we may be making our task
significantly more difficult, and more frustrating, than it really needs to
be.

Does this make any sense?

Al