dyslexia: sources

John Mullen is a gold mine of knowledge.  He is a dyslexic math professor.
Epitomizes all my favorite theories, in a way.

In any case, since I consider him a high quality window into a
little-illuminated world (at least in our understanding level) and he
mentioned
a good book in this post to EASI-SEM, I thought I would pass the message
along.

Al

An introduction to EASI-SEM is available at

 <http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lists.htm>http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lists.htm

but there doesn't seem to be a web archive for this list.  It's been very
quiet
most of the time over the last two years.

>Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 17:52:46 -0600
>From: John Mullen <jomullen@nmsu.edu>
>Subject: RE: Checking
>Sender: owner-easi-sem@listserver.isc.rit.edu
>To: easi-sem@listmail.rit.edu
>
>HI Jennifer,
>
>As an adult dyslexic, let me say that simultaneous presentation of text and
>a voice reading the material works best.  Recording for the Blind and
>Dyslexic (<http://www.rfbd.org/>http://www.rfbd.org/) provides tapes of many
texts as well as some
>low-cost hardware.
>
>There is also a factor of the way in which people use language.  I have
>found, to my surprise, that virtually all of the authors I read regularly
>are dyslexic.  My theory is that dyslexics use language differently than
>others.  The tapes tend to magnify this effect.  Some books are as hard for
>me to read with tapes as without them while others become very much clearer,
>once I get around the physical difficulties with vision.
>
>This being the case, it would seem that dyslexics write differently than
>others.  My most useful text on this has been "Writing to the Point," by
>Kerrigan and Metcalf.  Also, I listen to what I write, using a screen reader
>(Dragon Dictate).  I get a better sense of what I am doing that way.
>
>Of course, your mileage may vary.  Try what every you can and keep doing
>what works.
>
>John Mullen

e-listmail.rit.edu]On Behalf Of Jennifer Clancy

<http://education.qld.gov.au/tal/liu>http://education.qld.gov.au/tal/liu