RE: Simplest and clearest...

At 6:21 PM -0400 2001/8/18, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>PS: if you knew me well, you would know that my "bias" for graphics
>in this discussion is due to the mission I came with on this list -
>to see that those who depend on graphics had someone speaking for
>them as these important guidelines are brought into being.

I think it's important for all of us to remember that this is an
audience which, unlike blind, deaf, and motion-challenged audiences,
is really unable to speak for itself and represent their own views in
a technical forum such as this.

Thus it's good to have SOME kind of reminder that they exist, because
it is all too easy to ignore those who cannot speak up.  Whether Anne
is the ideal representative for those interests is almost beside the
point; at this point we have very few other people who are willing to
carry that torch.

If you don't like Anne, or want a more 'balanced' view, or whatever,
the trick is not to try to get her to shut up about whatever tangent
she wants to go off on.  The trick is to find more people willing to
join our group and champion the cause of those who can't represent
themselves -- and put up with the backlash against ideas which support
greater accessibility for people with mental disabilities.

(If you believe that there is _not_ a backlash then you are fooling
yourself. It's -not- just Anne's personality here, the ideas she says
are as threatening to many of us -- self included quite often -- as
_our_ majority ideas about blind user accessibility are to graphic
artists.)

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>