Re: Simplest and clearest...

At 08:24 PM 2001-08-16 , Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>My ears are burning!
>
> From today's meeting minutes (sorry I couldn't make it):
>>3.3 "Simplest and clearest..." - we've discussed this so much already, we
don't
>>plan to change it again before we post.
>>CS: Joe Clark's last suggestion is an improvement.
>>GV:New version: "Write as clearly and simply as is appropriate for the
>>site's content." (any objections to removing "possible and")
>>CS: Run it by Kynn
>
>Remove reference to "site's content", consider just ending at "is

AG:: remove "site's"

leave "content"

>appropriate."  Alternate suggestion: "...for the site's audiences,
>known and anticipated."

AG::

Known and anticipated is too small.  See reply to Anne re 'purpose' not
good to
substitute for 'content.'

 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0536.html>http:
//lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0536.html

Need a profile of approaches that address needs of some unaided and work with
aids to extend the audience yet further.  Expectations about audience are used
in profiling what techniques you apply where in the content, not in setting
goals.  Even for those who can cope with pedantry, clear and simple writing is
better.

please refer to my immediate previous reply to Paul

 <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0549.html>http:
//lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2001JulSep/0549.html

And the long one on word use.

We are struggling to make things concrete at two broad a point in the tree.
 We
should have separate and specific success criteria for a) setting expectations
about audience b) managing word-imposed challenges c) managing
language-structure-imposed challenges.

There's no point straining at trying to make frogs fly.  This ain't a
checkpoint, it's a placeholder for future development of a system of
checkpoints.

Al