Re: Illustrations for content

At 10:03 AM +1000 2001/8/03, Jason White wrote:
>Indeed, this point is not open to dispute within the working group;
>and nor do I interpret Kynn's remarks as challenging it.

Thanks, it's not meant to challenge that at all -- but rather to explain
why we are having so many difficulties fitting "good advice" into
"checkpoints."  As I explained in another post, if we are forced to
choose -- due to our structure -- between changing "good advice" into
"over-strict rules" or "nothing on the topic", I would much rather
err on the side of mentioning rather than ignoring such advice.  That's
the main point I was trying to make.

So if we accept my explanation of "why" we are having problems, the
answer simply becomes,

(1) Do we want to mandate illustrations? or
(2) Do we want to provide some way to determine the need for
     illustrations? or
(3) Do we want to leave it out?

As I see it we don't have many other choices, and I would choose (2),
[if possible], then (1), then (3).

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>