Re: Proposal deriving from checkpoint 2.1

Kynn,

         What is the lowest common denominator - consider the simplest
site, consisting of one page of content. What navigation mechanism is
needed for such a site? When does a site grow big enough (or start out big
enough) to need a site map? an index or table of contents? more than
either? does putting a search engine on a site mean linking to yahoo or
google from a page?

         What is involved in adding a search engine to a site? Do you buy
one and hook it up? Do you have to make one from scratch? Sorry if these
questions are terribly naive.

                                                 Anne

At 08:39 AM 7/29/01 -0400, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 10:13 AM +1000 2001/7/27, Jason White wrote:
>>In today's meeting I took an action item to draft a proposal that
>>would capture certain aspects of checkpoint 2.1. Here is a first
>>attempt:
>>Provide a search function or site navigation mechanism.
>
>I like this, but it's a bit confusing in that "a search function"
>_is_ a "site navigation mechanism" -- sort of like saying
>"provide a bicycle or a method of transportation."
>
>I'm a bit uncomfortable with "be error-tolerant" appearing here
>(and here alone) because I think it is important enough to be a
>separate checkpoint.
>
>But I think this is a good start and it is clear and straightforward.
>
>What do we do, though, about encouraging people to have more than
>one method?  (Yahoo is a good example of the need for this, and
>a good example of this principle in action.)
>
>--Kynn
>
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
>Technical Developer Liaison
>Reef North America
>Accessibility - W3C - Integrator Network
>Tel +1 949-567-7006
>BUSINESS IS DYNAMIC. TAKE CONTROL.
>http://www.reef.com

Anne Pemberton