Re: DTD for techniques documents

The language that describes the rule needs to be precise and I'm wondering
if it should be marked-up as well.

The language in your example is "All documents, including individual frames
in a frameset, should have  a <code>TITLE</code> element that defines in a
simple phrase the purpose of the document. "

We need to define things like:
"all documents" (text files, sound files, stylesheet files, XML, XHTML or
whatever)
"simple phrase" (minimum number of characters? NULL OK? all spaces OK?)
"purpose" (does a title always give the purpose of a document? How can this
be tested?)
"should" (under what conditions? must?)

After we define these, can we mark them?

Example: We decide that a title can't be NULL, can't be all spaces and
shouldn't be placeholder text. In our XML techniques document we could
specify something like:

<rule>
<element name="title">
<canbenull= "no" />