RE: javascript and URLs (new window)

On the one hand, there are clear attractions to making window spawning easy in
the environment of a user who has full use of a many-pixel display.  On the
other hand, there are downsides to too-easy window proliferation (or too
silent) for those not using such a device in their interaction environment.
This is a corollary of the fact that in the absense of the screen as a
persistent shared resource between computer and user, the navigation
options or
shape of the navigable space has to be something that the user can produce
from
their recall memory.

See

 HCI Fundamentals and PWD Failure Modes
 <http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/ud4grid/#_Toc495220368>http://trace.wisc.edu/d
ocs/ud4grid/#_Toc495220368

for a summary of the related theory.

The approach that is reflected in the User Agent guidelines at the moment is a
little like styling for actions.  Opening and moving to a new window is not
forbidden, but the process by which it happens can be cast by the user into
alternative patterns.  Sometimes the system will JustDoIt for the script
author.  But if the user wants a more controlled process, a notification or
confirmation request is required before the system will take this action.

Details of this functionality in the UAAG are still being hammered out in the
discussion of issue resolutions.  However, the general approach described
above
is clearly present in the current state of the document.  See for example the
topic discussed first on 2 March from last week's meetings.  This is directly
related.  The performance issue is how the user can trust the user
interface to
be stable, aside from the effects of actions that the user consciously
performs
to adjust or configure that user interface.

 Minutes from 1-2 March 2001 UAWG Face-to-face meeting
 <http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/03/ua-minutes>http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001
/03/ua-minutes

But in general, review the Guideline 4 "checkpoints for user interface
accessibility"

 4. Ensure user control of rendering and viewport
 <http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010224/#gl-user-control-styles>http:
//www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20010224/#gl-user-control-styles

The basic requirement is that the user be able to tune the interaction
space so
that if an application wants to spawn an independent thread of activity, it
has
to "may I" the user. This is because under some circumstances the user
themself
is the only agent that should be able to  authorize the creation of such an
object.  The user needs to be able to keep the set of separate things
happening
that can raise events or otherwise require the user's attention to a short
list
that they can mentally manage.  In GUI systems, one can usually skip this
check.  The application can simply register the new window with the window
manager.  However, in other interaction environments, such as voice dialog,
interactive voice response, or a graphical user interface session managed
through a screen reader, it can be better to have the user themselves as the
gatekeeper for the creation of new sub-sessions, or 'rooms' in the interaction
space.

Note that to the extent that one can force the opening of a new window, and
open a new window without standard controls, by means of some of the attribute
values in the frame language in HTML, there is an XHTML 2.0 frames-reform
issue
embedded here.  As well as the obvious large "civilizing the script interface"
issue.

Al