RE: Updating 2.4, rewritten

There is a desire on the part of people running servers not have those
servers tied up too long waiting for people who have decided to abandon their
shopping. It's a bit like a supermarket - if people constantly filled
trolleys and left them in the aisle, the supermarket would have to spend real
money to clear them out of the way. Since it is much easier in the
e-commerce world to "fill the trolley", and easier to just go to another site
than to log out (and also because often in the real e-commerce world you
don't get the information to decide on a purchase unless you pretend you are
going to make one), this is a real issue.

Dell apparently wrote recently about how they had manipulated inventory of an
Intel processor to corner a market in the UK, so they may be more concerned
than most people about it happening, but in general it is unlikely that this
is a major worry (albeit still possible). Those kind of scenarios are outside
the level of requirements for accessibility - it is imoprtant that the
accessibility community are aware of the issue in security, and vital that
the security (and Intellectual Property) communities are aware that some
people have a real need for a different policy being available. But those are
implementation details, and like deciding what is a good policy for a
particular organisation or country, generally outside our scope.

Charles McCN