RE: Illustrating Guidelines

I'm not sure how "fairly common" it is to browse with images turned off... On this list, some folks say they use the web that way, but in my life away from this list, NO ONE I KNOW uses the web that way! Just as I don't know anyone in real life who uses television without the screen on, or listens to anything but music on the radio....

Somehow, early on, accessibility got astray in not recognizing all needs, and it is time to put it back on track. Yes, for those who've been sipping the wine of this table a long time, it will require that you "think out of the box" and consider solutions that would not be your own personal choice of how to use the web. As we tell the little children ... "You have to learn to share!"

---
Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com
apembert45@yahoo.com
apembert45@lycos.com
apembert@pen.k12.va.us

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45

On Fri, 11 May 2001 08:28:50
 Bailey, Bruce wrote:
>	> Alan Flavell last week asked that all web pages be designed
>	> so that they will appear to a speech user as if they were created
>for "all
>	> text" from the beginning.
>
>Yes, this is a very practical way to help someone compose good ALT text
>content.
>
>	> Is it any more unreasonable for those with
>	> impaired cognition to ask that all web pages be designed as if
>they
>	> contained "no text"?
>
>Yes, this is completely unreasonable.
>(1)  We don't have ANY method for replacing text with pictures.
>(2)  Browsers which strip text and present only images don't exist (although
>I guess they wouldn't be too hard to create).  On the other hand, browsing
>without images is fairly common.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!